As part of our goal to offer better Internet access and services, we are transitioning our DNS services to “the cloud” — virtual servers located on the Internet backbone. DNS is the service that translates domain names (such as spiral.com) into the numeric addresses used to send traffic back and forth, so this will make your Spiral internet service more responsive and reliable.
In most cases, you will not need to make any changes. However, if you have DSL or Fusion service with us, and one of the following applies:
- You are paying for a static IP address
- You have manually configured your modem’s DNS settings
Then read on for information on updating your DNS servers.
Please feel free to call our office for technical support (530-478-9822 in Nevada County, 916-252-1619 Sacramento), if you have questions or would like help with these settings.
New Server IPs
Our new cloud DNS servers are:
On September 16, 2014, we will be decommissioning our old (Nevada City) DNS server at the IP address 126.96.36.199. If that IP is in your nameserver list, it must be replaced by Sept. 16.
Changing Pace modems
If you bought a modem directly from us that looks like this:
Then here are step-by-step instructions to change the DNS server IPs. For older modems or third-party modems, please call our office for support.
- Open this page on a computer that connects to the Internet through your Pace modem, then click on this link: http://192.168.1.254
- You are now looking at your Pace modem’s configuration page. Click on the speedometer icon next to the “Broadband” information at the top.
- Click “Link Configuration” once the Broadband page comes up.
- Scroll down the page to the “Broadband IP Network” heading, and find the DNS section.If “Obtain DNS information automatically” is selected, STOP. You’re done! You do not need to make any changes.
If “Manually specify DNS information” is selected, find and select the entry that says “188.8.131.52” (this should be the Primary Server). Your screen should look like this (the “IP Addressing” settings will be different; do NOT change those):
- Enter the new server IP, 184.108.40.206.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click the “Save” button.
That’s it, you’re done!